04 September 2010

Autumn is being to fall

To start, I am aware that I have a Maple Tree growing in a pot in my kitchen and I am aware that this is less than normal but, C'est la vie. No one ever said I was 'normal'.




I met this little guy months ago when I was pulling weeds for the flower garden. When I pulled him from the garden with roots and all I decided that he deserved a second chance and planted him in a pot to help him recuperate from this traumatic event before finding him a new, more permanent home. He has been my kitchen companion for months now. He has almost double in size and seems and has been quite happy about his new vocation. Life as a house plant must seem easy compared to the hardships he sees his kinfolk endure outside the window.




At one point in the last week or so, while spending some quality dish washing time with my companion I notice that his leaves where beginning to 'brown' at the tips. Being a 'house plant' my first assumption was that I had neglected to water him, thus doing so immediately. As the days past his little leaves continued to dry at the tips. I accepted the fact that like all my house plant, eventually they lose there battle and succumb to my inadequate green thumb.




A few days ago my mind caught up. It finally occurred to me the my little friend was not dying but changing colours. Not like a 'house plant' but like his wild cousins he watches through the kitchen window... yeah, it sometimes takes me a bit to see the obvious!!




Not sure if my little friend is going to winter inside or if I will find him a new home this fall but i know we are going to have to have 'the talk' soon. I shall tell him what he truly is... hope he takes it well.



2 comments:

  1. Thats a neat idea. I have always been afraid to have outdoors plants indoors. I worry that it will either die or somehow just grow into this giant thing destroying walls and windows and having its roots go through the floor and stuff. Crazy I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that crazy. I have an indoor plant that is starting to take over my living room!! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete