21 May 2010

Kelly and the Caterpillar

Last year, nearing the end of summer, I spent my afternoon digging potatoes out of my garden - a wheelbarrow full in fact! Always with me was my little side kick and biggest fan, my 2 year old American Cocker Spaniel, Kelly (named after Ned Kelly, btw). He was a tremendous help, digging up, stealing and eating any stray potatoes and the occasional bug - making a complete pig of himself. Unfortunately all of this changed when he came across a few Fuzzy Wuzzy Caterpillars (Wooly Bear Caterpillars, Banded Woolly Bear, etc) crawling around in the dirt.



Naturally, being Kelly he sucked them up and carried about his business. To make a long story short Kelly became very sick and spent the better part of the day hacking, coughing and chowing down on grass to settle his stomach.

While all of this was occurring I started to get the bones of a cute little story running threw my head. I had never written a kiddie story before but I wasn't going to let the opportunity to write it down pass me by. Within 5 minutes the story was down on paper and I was back to caring for my sick puppy.

The story remained dormant with all my other writing for a while. It was only when I started to think ahead to my nephews first birthday (25 December) did I finally have a purpose for my little story! I set about creating cute little illustrations for my book. putting it together and getting a copy printed. I used Lulu.com and was extremely happy with how it turned out!





Hopefully Liam will appreciate it when he gets a bit older. Kelly and Liam luv each other to bits, so it is such a great little story for him!

If you want to check it out, or perhaps buy a copy for your little ones, I would be honoured... So would Kelly!




I have also thrown a few of the illustrations up in my Zazzle Shop!! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment